Sunday, August 4, 2013

Hindering My Creativity

I told you that Cody and I are moving, right?  We're not doing anything drastic, just moving to a bigger place for less rent. Sounds like a win, win situation. It is, except that it's completely interfering with my ability to work on my script.



We started looking for a place back in March, and since we didn't have to move in rush, we took our time finding the perfect place.  Now that we've found the perfect place, there are a lot of unforeseen complications.  Our new place only comes with one parking spot. So one of us will have to park on the street, which isn't a problem, until you factor in that there is no over night parking without a permit.  Okay. So we get a permit. That's not a problem...except it is. This parking permit has become the bane of my existence and a huge part of why I can't write.

In order to get a parking permit you simply have to show up at one of the many conveniently located LADOT offices. You see, when you're buying your first annual permit, you have to do it in person. And all you have to bring with you is a lease agreement and utility bill. Easy! We already have the lease, we only need one more thing.

So, on Tuesday, Cody and I went to the LADOT office with our lease agreement to explain to them that we won't have another form of proof until after we've moved in, and then it'll be too late to get a permit without getting a parking ticket. Clearly, it was going to be that simple. Alas, I was wrong. The lady told us that we need to call the utility companies and set up our switch over, and then bring in a notification of our new service. Okay, that's easy. I'd do that while Cody was at work on Wednesday. And we decided to get two annual parking permits, and put one on each of our cars.

On Wednesday, I called the cable company...only to find out that they aren't the ones who service our new area. Not a problem, I simply set up a cancellation date with them and found out who the new cable company is. Moving right along; I looked up the electric company, and as  I was doing so I became disheartened. Burbank Water and Power, sigh. We're moving from Burbank. So I cancelled that service. So far, all I was doing was canceling service, and I still had no proof of residency for the new place. Not to mention, that I needed to put Cody on all the bills too, so she could get a permit for her car.

Next call was to the gas company - SoCal gas. Piece of cake! We're staying in Southern Cali, I'll just transfer that service right on over and add Cody to the bill.  Not that easy. Apparently you can't have roommates on the bill, only spouses and domestic partners. Just another setback, but I wasn't discouraged, yet.

Time Warner is the cable provider for the new area. I called to set up our internet and cable, and I was able to get Cody on the bill. All was going well, until the fight with CBS and Showtime and the random upfront fee of $89.99.  So....we didn't sign up with them.  We still have no proof or residency AND we found out that in order to have the annual permit, the car must also be registered to that address. The car registration also must be done in person.  Ugh!

Figuring out this parking situation has been an ongoing process for the past two weeks, and it seems as if it is no where near being resolved. This move was a great idea because we'd be saving a ton of money and have a bigger living space, but with the parking pain lingering on my mind, it is severely hindering my creative abilities.  I need an assistant. What would James Franco do?

#WWJFD

No comments:

Post a Comment